The Left-wing commentariat and their allies in the ‘mainstream’ media have been blaming the current partial government shutdown for the past month as a byproduct of POTUS Donald Trump’s “temper tantrums” over border wall funding, but after refusing his nationally-televised compromise on Saturday, the shutdown is now undeniably owned by the party of the donkey.
In particular, according to the White House website, the president’s proposal included:
- $5.7 billion to fund a steel barrier system, including embedded investments in technology and roads, on our southern border in the priority areas cited by Border Patrol.
- This is in addition to the more than 115 miles of barriers already built, replaced, or contracted under President Trump.
- $805 million for technology, canines, and personnel to help stop the flow of illegal drugs, weapons and other contraband. This includes:
- $675 million for drug detection inspection technology to help secure our ports of entry.
- $130 million for canine units, training, personnel and portable scanners to help deter and detect smuggled narcotics, weapons, and other dangerous materials.
- $800 million dollars in humanitarian assistance, medical support, and new temporary housing.
- $782 million to hire an additional 2,750 border agents, law enforcement officers, and staff.
- $563 million to support our immigration court system, including hiring 75 new immigration judge teams to reduce the immigration court backlog of 800,000 cases.
POTUS’ plan also solved the DACA situation as well provided those facing deportation for other reasons not related to criminal or suspected terrorist activities:
- Provisional status will be granted for three years for current DACA recipients, covering 700,000 illegal immigrants brought here by their parents at a young age.
- This status will give them access to work permits, social security numbers, and protection from deportation.
- Provisional status will be granted to certain current TPS recipients for three years, providing 300,000 immigrants whose protected status is facing expiration more certainty as Congress works on a larger immigration deal.
But the president had barely finished his speech when Democratic leaders, hell-bent on denying this president any political victories — even when they, themselves, and their constitutients come out winners — flatly rejected the plan.
â€œHouse Speaker Nancy Pelosi came out ahead of the announcement to say the anticipated proposal comprisedÂ a â€˜compilation of severalÂ previously rejected initiatives, each of which is unacceptable and in total, do not represent a good-faith effort to restore certainty to peopleâ€™s lives,’â€ Fox News reported.
â€œIt is unlikely that any one of these provisions alone would pass the House, and taken together, they are a non-starter,â€ Pelosi declared.Â â€œFor one thing, this proposal does not include the permanent solution for the Dreamers and TPS recipients that our country needs and supports.”
No, but these proposals certainly kick the can very far down the road — past the 2020 election — which is a lot better than the current uncertainty TPS and DACA recipients face.
â€œI cannot support the proposed offer as reported and do not believe it can pass the Senate,â€ added Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), claiming that fellow Democrats would only consider the proposal if Trump first signed a budget proposal that ended the partial shutdown — which, of course, means the president would be surrendering his one bargaining chip with no guarantee of a solution.
POTUS Trump admitted that his compromise plan did not solve all immigration-related problems facing our country.
But clearly, what he offered as a starting point was cogent, coherent, reasoned, and best of all effective.
And Democrats have rejected it. Not only that, but they were shaking their heads ‘no’ before he even finished his speech.
The Democrats now own the current partial shutdown. Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Dick Durban and all of the rest of the Democratic leaders are now 100 percent responsible for any hardships that federal workers, government contractors, and American citizens suffer as a result of their refusal to agree to proposals that they, themselves, have proposed and supported in the past.
The president is talking about protecting the country and American citizens, and the Democrat position is that they don’t care what harm comes to both.
If this doesn’t prove just how unhinged the Democrats’ Left-wing base has become in the age of POTUS Trump, nothing will. What the president does from this point on — he now may have to declare a national emergency — will be as a direct result of Democratic inaction.
Never miss a story! Sign up for our daily email newsletter â€”Â Click here!