(National Sentinel)Â Winning: POTUS Donald Trump had little experience dealing with the Washington swamp he has pledged to drain before moving into the White House in January 2017, but he’s a quick study and, as we continue to see, a shrewd negotiator.
The president has consistently requested funding for the border wall he promised Americans during the 2016 campaign, but Democrats in unison, along with enough Republicans, have thwarted funding for the wall time and time again.
Now, however, POTUS — and the American people — are about to see the White House’s labor bear fruit on this issue.
And notÂ only will the president receive funding for the wall this year, he may well getÂ more funding than he requested.
TheÂ Washington Examiner reported:
President Trump and congressional leaders have agreed to a border wall funding showdown after the upcoming November midterm elections and if he plays his cards right, it could result in $5 billion, more than twice what the White House initially sought.
While appropriations bills are moving at the fastest pace in over 20 years, with many expected to be approved by Oct. 1, the start of the fiscal year, Homeland Security funding for the wall is likely to be delayed, said officials.
Plans are already underway to approve temporary, â€œstopgap,â€ funding that will cover Homeland until its new spending is approved after the wall funding fight.
However, in a good sign for the White House, the Senate has already locked in the $1.6 billion Trump sought this year in wall construction funding in a bipartisan vote and it will be included in the stopgap bill.
The House is likely to approve $5 billion for the wall, matching Trumpâ€™s top level wish and setting up negotiations with the Senate.
Earlier, POTUS had threatened again to allow the government to be shut down if he couldn’t get a penny for border wall construction.
In actuality, construction of the border wall has been underway for months. Customs and Border Protection announced in March:
Construction of the border wall is underway, as several projects begin to take shape along the Southwest border. One project will begin within days, according to Ronald Vitiello, U.S. Customs and Border Protectionâ€™s acting deputy commissioner.
â€œWeâ€™re on track to replace 20 miles of primary vehicle barrier in Santa Teresa, New Mexico,â€ he told reporters during a Friday afternoon news conference in Washington, D.C. â€œGroundbreaking is scheduled for early April.â€
The projects span the Southwest border from San Diego to the Rio Grande Valley Sector in Texas.
Sections are also being replaced in New Mexico.
How much did Trump’s shutdown threat contribute to this? You may recall earlier this year, in March, when lawmakers wrangled him into signing a $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill filled with boondoggles that he’d never do so again.