(National Sentinel)Â Good News: A New Jersey couple who raised more than $400,000 for a homeless man has been ordered to hand over what remains of it, a judge said Thursday.
The couple — KatieÂ McClure and her boyfriend, Mark Dâ€™Amico — were ordered to give the funds to their lawyerÂ after they had raised the money through a GoFundMe campaignÂ for Johnny Bobbit,Â according to Philadelphiaâ€™s NBC10.
The couple’s lawyer was ordered to place the money in escrow while the case moves forward. In addition, the judge ordered McClure and D’Amico to provide aÂ full accounting of money raised through the GoFundMe account that has since been spent.
Bobbit, who had been homeless for years, gave McClure his last $20 last fall to buy gas after her vehicle ran out on the highway near where he was staying.
To repay Bobbit and to help him out, the couple started a GoFundMe campaign with the goal of raising $10,000. But after the story went viral, the fund managed to raise in excess of $400,000.
And that’s when things started to go sour.
The couple claimed that once the money began rolling in, Bobbit started spending some of it on drugs and that they tried to hold back what they could to keep him from blowing through it. They said he spent $25,000 in less than two weeks during one binge.
But Bobbit said the couple used a large portion of the funds to buyÂ themselves things like new cars and vacations. So he filed suit to keepÂ them from spending the rest of it.
What started out as an incredible act of kindness and reward quickly turned into one of ugliness and greed.