(National Sentinel)Â Constitutional: Despite the Left’s relentless efforts to disarm as many Americans as possible (because that’s what Marxist revolutionaries do), a new studyÂ authored by Dr. John R. Lott, noted criminologist, finds that a record 17.25Â million Americans now hold concealed carry permits.
Not only that, Lott’s Crime Prevention Research Center found, there are major increases in permit holders among women and minorities — two stats that prove the right to self-defense isn’t limited by race, ethnicity, or sex.
“Despite the expectations of many after the 2016 elections, the number of concealed handgun permits has again increased,” the center said in an executive summary.
“In 2018, the number of concealed handgun permits soared to now over 17.25 million â€“ a 273 percent increase since 2007,” said the report, adding that “7.14 percent of American adults have permits.
“Unlike surveys that may be affected by peopleâ€™s unwillingness to answer some personal questions, concealed handgun permit data is the only really ‘hard data that we have on gun ownership across the United States,” the report noted.
“Still, an even larger number of people carry because in 14 states people donâ€™t need a permit to carry in all or virtually all those states,” the summary said.
Here’s what the CPRC also found:
- Last year, despite the common perception that growth in the number of permit holders would stop after the 2016 election, the number of permits grew by about 890,000.
- Outside the restrictive states of California and New York, about 8.63% of the adult population has a permit.
- In fifteen states, more than 10 percent of adults have permits, up from just eleven last year.
- Alabama has the highest rate â€” 22.1%. Indiana is second with 17.9%, and South Dakota is a close third with 17.2%.
- Four states now have over 1 million permit holders: Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
- Another 14 states have adopted constitutional carry in all or almost all of their state, meaning that a permit is no longer required. However, because of these constitutional carry states, the nationwide growth in permits does not paint a full picture of the overall increase in concealed carry.
- Permits continued to grow much faster for women and minorities. Between 2012 and 2018, the percent of women with permits grew 111 percent faster for women and the percent of blacks with permits grew 20 percent faster than for whites. Permits for Asians grew 29 percent faster than for whites.
- Concealed handgun permit holders are extremely law-abiding. In Florida and Texas, permit holders are convicted of misdemeanors and felonies at one-sixth of the rate at which police officers are convicted.
Make no mistake,Â this is a huge part of what freedom looks like — which is why it’s no surprise that theÂ bottom seven states where there are the fewest concealed-carry holders are run by authoritarianÂ Democrats.