(National Sentinel)Â Paid Liars:Â Our founding fathers adopted freedom of the press as part of the Constitution because they understood that aÂ free press was a vital part of holding those in power accountable.
The profession of journalism, as it wasÂ once taught, included these principles, according to the American Press Association:
- Journalism’s first loyalty is toÂ truth
- Its first loyalty is toÂ all the citizens
- Its essence is aÂ discipline of verification
- Its practitionersÂ must maintain anÂ independence from those they cover
- It must serve as an independent check on power
- It must provide a forum for public criticism and compromise
- It must strive to make the significant interesting andÂ relevant
- It must keep the news comprehensive and proportional
- It’s practitioners must be allowed to exerciseÂ their personal conscience
It seems that in the age of POTUS Trump,Â most “mainstream” journalists have forgottenÂ all of those principles except the last one.
This comes to mind:
That photo was completely faked to create the false narrative thatÂ all immigrant children were being “ripped” from their parents’ arms at the border.
This little girlÂ never was.
That’s her mother she’s standing with.
The media today have completely abandoned most of the principles called for by our profession. The amount ofÂ fake news traffickers likeÂ CNN, The New York Times, and theÂ Washington Post alone have generated since before Trump was inaugurated is enough to have ended several careers.
But noneÂ have been ended.
All of this helps explain the results of a new CBS Battleground Survey showing media trust among POTUS Trump’s supporters atÂ cratered levels: JustÂ 11 percent believe the fake news media, while a whoppingÂ 91 percent believe our president instead.
And who can blame them?Â Ninety percent of the coverage of POTUSÂ has been negativeÂ (and in many cases…wrong!).
NEW CBS POLL: nearly all strong supporters of President Trump say they trust him for accurate information, while only 11 percent trust the mainstream media https://t.co/GK8aNOm3Op pic.twitter.com/B2tgZySo5Z
— Face The Nation (@FaceTheNation) July 29, 2018