(National Sentinel)Â Deep State: Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee have launched “Phase 2” of their probe into the origins and use of the so-called “Trump dossier,” sending letters of inquiry to scores of current and former Justice and Intelligence officials including former FBI Director James Comey.
As reported byÂ Fox News‘ Catherine Herridge, the letter, from Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., was addressed to scores of former officials from the U.S. intelligence community, federal law enforcement and the State Department.
It contains several questions that are related to the unverified dossier. Specifically, Nunes “wants to knowÂ when they learned the document was funded byÂ DemocraticÂ sources, and how it was used to obtain one or more surveillance warrants at the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court,” Herridge reported.
The Feb. 20 letter also contains a threat to issue subpoenas. “If you do not provide timely answers on a voluntary basis, the Committee will initiate compulsory process,” the letter says.
The letter comes after Nunes, in cooperation with the Trump administration, released the “FISA memo” which alleges that the dossier, which was compiled by Christopher Steele, a former British spy, and paid for by the Hillary Clinton campaign and the Democratic National Committee, was vital in securing a counterintelligence surveillance warrant against one-time Trump campaign associate Carter Page.
Nunes toldÂ Fox News earlier this month that Phase 2 was coming, and it would target a wider subset of officials from many agencies.
“FoxÂ News understands the questionnaire went out to about two dozen current and former officials,” Herridge reported.
They include Comey, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and former CIA Director John Brennan, who testified in May 2017 that he knew very little about the dossier.
“I have no awareness,â€ Brennan saidÂ in response to a question from Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., about whether agencies relied on the dossier for FISA court warrants.
Herridge reported that a source familiar with Phase 2 said more officials may be targeted by the committee.
Never miss a story! Sign up here for our daily email!