(National Sentinel)Â Political Rumors: President Donald J. Trump is set to replace Secretary of State Rex Tillerson with CIA Director Mike Pompeo,Â The New York Times is reporting.
The Times said that the changes come come in the next several weeks.
The paper described the move as ‘forcing out’ Tillerson, “whose relationship with [Trump] has been strained.”
The Times added that Trump has yet to approve the plan, which was devised by Chief of Staff John Kelly.
Reports noted that Cotton would likely take the CIA job if offered, though his office said he is focused on serving the people of Arkansas.
It was rumored that UN Ambassador Nikki Haley, former governor of South Carolina, may replace Tillerson, but in recent weeks Trump is said to have settled on Pompeo because he has good rapport with him.
Reports about Tillerson’s ouster comes on the heels of a report byÂ NBC NewsÂ in October that Trump and Tillerson have had a falling out, with the latter allegedly calling the president a “moron” at a social event earlier this year.
Both men have denied the report, calling it “fake news.”
“It was fake news. It was a totally phony story. It was made up â€” it was made up by NBC. They just made it up,” Trump said when asked about Tillerson’s comment.
Saying he had “total confidence in Rex,” Trump also tweeted that the secretary of state never threatened to quit.
“Rex Tillerson never threatened to resign. This is Fake News put out by @NBCNews. Low news and reporting standards. No verification from me,” he said.
Rex Tillerson never threatened to resign. This is Fake News put out by @NBCNews. Low news and reporting standards. No verification from me.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 5, 2017
Tillerson also denied that Vice President Mike Pence had to convince him to stay.
“The vice president has never had to persuade me to remain as secretary of State because I have never considered leaving,” he said.
Advertising disclaimer: Click here
What areÂ your thoughts?