(NationalSentinel)Â War: President Donald J. Trump said Friday following North Korea’s latest ballistic missile test that Pyongyang “disrespected” Chinese President Xi Jinping as the reclusive regime warned that war on the peninsula is “imminent.”
Like the North’s last missile test, the one launched yesterday also failed shortly after takeoff, leading some analysts to believe the launch could once againÂ been hacked by the U.S. or an ally.
North Korea disrespected the wishes of China & its highly respected President when it launched, though unsuccessfully, a missile today. Bad!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 28, 2017
As reported byÂ Fox News:
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said his country would adhere to past U.N. resolutions and wants a denuclearized Korean peninsula, but spelled out no further punitive steps his government might consider â€” despite Tillerson’s assertions in an interview hours ahead of the council meeting that Beijing would impose sanctions of its own if North Korea conducts another nuclear test.
Although he says he thinks China will cooperate, Trump has threatened to go it alone.
Despite the test failure, leader Kim Jong-un signaled that he is willing to ignore the West’s demands he end both his nuclear weapons and ballistic missile development programs.
U.S. intelligence estimated that the missile being tested was a KN-17, a mid-range ballistic missile that can reach Japan.
The Telegraph reported that following the test’s failure a flurry of rhetoric from Pyongyang warned that war was “imminent.”
“North Korea fired an unidentified missile from a site in the vicinity of Bukchang in Pyeongannam-do (South Pyeongan Province) early this morning,” YonhapÂ News AgencyÂ reported, quoting a statement issued by South Korea’s military. “It is estimated to have failed.”
The U.S.S. Carl Vinson aircraft carrier strike group is expected to steam into waters near the Korean peninsula this weekend, upping pressure on North Korea to end its programs. However, there’s no indication yet that Pyongyang is willing to listen.
Earlier in the weekÂ Admiral Harry Harris, who heads the US Pacific Command, told Congress, “I don’t share your confidence that North Korea is not going to attack either South Korea, or Japan, or the United States … once they have the capability.”
The Trump administration is getting its diplomatic ducks in a row prior to what many believe will be a preemptive strike:
— The president appears to have convinced the Chinese leader that trade and other relationships with the U.S. are more important, long-term, than relations with a nuclear-armed North Korea.
— Trump dined with ambassadors of the UN security council and their spouses last week, and appears to have their support for any proposed U.S. actions against Pyongyang.Â France’s U.N. ambassador says the U.N. Security Council is “mobilized” and unanimous on the need to denuclearise North Korea,Â The TelegraphÂ reported.
— South Korea has the most to benefit from a denuclearized North Korea – but also the most to lose in the short term from a war on the peninsula. Yet the Trump administration, judging by the buildup of U.S. forces in the region, may have already secured approval from Seoul to strike the North.